International Yoga day is celebrated on 21st June every year worldwide. If you want to know why Yoga day is on 21 June, it’s importance in our daily life and of course the 2020 theme then this article is for you.
Here, I am going to discuss the history of Yoga Day, a few asanas of Yoga that will help you to keep your body and mind fit and many other things.
So, without wasting any time let’s quickly start with this article and get to know about International Yoga Day.
History of YOGA
Everyone knows that Yoga plays a very important role in mental and physical health if you practice daily it gives a huge benefit. The Word “YOGA” derived from Sanskrit it means to join or unite which symbolize the union of bodies.
It is universally recognized on 21st June 2015. The first proposal was passed by our Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
In his address opening of the 69th session of the General Assembly, he said “Yoga is an invaluable gift from our ancient tradition. Yoga embodies unity of mind and body, thought and action a holistic approach which is valuable to our health and our well-being. Yoga is not about exercise, it is a way to discover the sense of oneness with yourself, the world and nature.”
We all know this year 2020 is seen as a pandemic “Coronavirus“. All the Yoga Studios, communal spaces have shut down.
Apart from this, all yoga instructors came on the platform online and started Yoga sessions on a zoom app or another app to communicate with their audience. Well, the theme of this Yoga day was “Yoga for Health-Yoga for Home“.
Why Yoga is Celebrated?
In research it was found that 1893 where Swami Vivekananda addressed the World Parliament of Religions in Chicago in which he introduced the Yoga day to the Western Form.
After that many Yoga Gurus eastern gurus spread yoga throughout the World on a large scale where people started to accept it. Even Yoga began to be studied in the form of subjects and then it came out that there are long benefits of Yoga.
Benefits of Yoga
In research it is found that it can lower the blood pressure and also reduce insomnia.
- It helps in weight reduction and helps in weight gaining also.
- It also protects from the injury.
- It’s also great in increasing flexibility of our body.
- It also protects from injury.
- Its improved respiration energy and vitality.
- It also improves athletic performance also.
Earlier in my posts, I mentioned the morning Pranayama that is beneficial for acidity problems.
Yoga Originated In India
Yoga has been introduced in India since Vedic times. This is the ideal combination of Knowledge, Karma and devotion. It is said that Maharishi Patanjali contributed to India; he has also organized Yoga postures or practiced in the Yoga Sutras.
Why 21st June Chosen for Yoga?
Well 21st June is known as the day to pay homage to the Sadgurus.It is also Known as the day of summer solicit during that time , the North Pole is tilted towards the Sun or we can also say that when the sun begins to move from North to South. This time is also known as the transition period, e.g. better time for mediation.
At the time of sankranti or Uttarayan, the Adiyogi lefts towards the South and also believes that he was the first who saw the 7 royal sages who further became his disciples.
Even the 21st June marks this important event in human history because this date in the Northern Hemisphere is also the longest day of the year and also has an important significance in other countries also.
Objectives of Yoga Day
- By Spreading growth, development, and peace throughout the World.
- Try to make people aware of the benefits of Yoga and also connected with nature.
- It also reduces the health of challenging diseases in the World.
- By making people aware of physical and mental illness and also providing solutions through Yoga.
- Apart from this it also aims to develop a habit of mediation for peace of mind, self-awareness which is considered necessary to survive in a stress-free environment.
Unknown Traditions of Yoga
- On 21st June in Lucknow it was observed that it was celebrated where other new records were created where people from around 150 countries participated and it is said that the number of participants were about 1,500 and the theme was “ Yoga for Health“.
- On 21st June 2018 at Dehradun, Uttarakhand where Prime Minister Narendar Modi along with 55,000 performed Yoga. And the theme was given “Yoga for Peace“.
Even our Prime Minister Narendra Modi also addressed the Nation on this day. Below I give you a link while clicking on it while you listen.
Yoga for the Immune System
As we Know that the World is suffering from the epidemic- Coronavirus. This is a deadly virus which attacks only the immune system and in senior citizens it will see that in them the immune system was not properly functioning.
So let’s check which Yoga performed builds up a strong immune system.
- Matsyana(Fish Pose).
- Viparita Karani(Legs Up the Wall).
- Uttanasana(Forward Bend).
NOTE:- While you perform these yoga asanas you must consult the yoga instructor if you are new to this field.
Countries Famous For Yoga
Have a look at the names of various countries that are famous for Yoga.
- India: Well India is known as the place where Yoga takes birth and the places where yoga was performed are Kerala, Rishikesh, Mysore, Goa.
- Spain: The most colourful culture with delicious dishes. First door of Yoga was opened in the 20th century. The favourite month to practice Yoga in Spanish was March, July, August and the cities where Yoga was practiced are Mallorca, Ibiza, Canary Island.
- Indonesia: Known as the island of Gods whereas Bali is known as the flagship of yoga. Places for Yoga are Bali, Ubud, Canggu.
- Thailand: Thailand is known as the Buddhist country and also believed the most kind people lived there. It is also known as the most affordable place to visit the cities. Places where Yoga is performed Phuket, Koh Samui, Chiang Mai, Koh Phangan.
- Portugal: This country is also famous for Yoga retreats. The places where Yoga is performed are Lisbon, Algarve, Cascais.
- United States: Where Modern Yoga evolved in the 20th century it is said that one out of three Americans always tried Yoga for once. April and August are the most popular months for Yoga to travel to the US. Places for Yoga are New York, Hawaii, Florida, California, and Arizona.
- Italy: Italy is also known famous for Yoga and its stand seventh in the term of Yoga. Places for Yoga are Sicily, Puglia, Sardinia, Tuscany.
- United Kingdom: United Kingdom also counted in first 10th in the list of Yoga. Cities which performed the Yoga are Kent, Cornwall, Scotland, and Wales.
Apart from this, I would like to share a link of our Prime Minister’s appeal to the United Nations for World Yoga Day.
Yoga makes our body fit and keeps us mentally strong if practiced daily. Our body is like a temple which we worship daily to remain healthy and keep our life stable.
In this article I have provided various things that will help you to know why Yoga day is celebrated all over the world.
Now, I am concluding my article, hope you liked it and gained a lot of knowledge from it.